What’s Trending – September 2018 🔥
Date Posted: September 26, 2018Reading time: 3 minutes
by Hannah Ghosn
Welcome to the What’s Trending blog! Every month, we scour the internet for the most exciting social trends, platform updates and consumer insights so you don’t need to. So grab a coffee (or a non-fat vanilla soy latte, or whatever), take a break and find out what’s trending this month.👇
Must-Know News 🗞
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT … TWITTER IS GOING CHRONOLOGICAL. AGAIN.
- No need for a #TBT or #FBF, because Twitter has announced it’s bringing back the beloved chronological timeline.
- While offering the option to keep the algorithmic timeline, the platform will be implementing a toggle feature which enables users to choose to see their timeline in chronological order instead. Math was never my strong suit, anyway.
- Since Twitter implemented their algorithmic timeline in 2016, user engagement numbers have only increased. So, what does this change mean for the future of the platform?
- Read more: Twitter reintroduces chronological timeline
HERE ARE THREE IOS 12 UPDATES YOU SHOULD KNOW, BECAUSE I SAID SO.
- You can now search for songs by their lyrics in Apple Music. Because let’s be honest, opening the Safari app, searching for the song in Google, then going back to Apple Music to listen to the song has been really hard for us all.
- Apple’s AirPods can now act as a microphone for hearing aids, so you never miss a beat.
- iOS is gaining independence, and can now install updates all by itself when you turn on the ‘automatic updates’ feature. They grow up so quickly, don’t they?
- Read more: New iOS features
INSTAGRAM ATTEMPTS TO GIVE AMAZON A RUN FOR THEIR MONEY. LITERALLY.
- Instagram has begun rolling out shoppable posts in their Stories and will add a shopping channel to their Explore page. Now I can feed all my addictions in one place!
- Available in 46 countries, businesses will be able to add a shopping sticker to their stories, so users can click through to products they think are totes adorbs. Speaking of which, did you know that the word ‘adorbs’ has made its way into the dictionary?
- These new updates, if successful, could make Instagram a real competitor for Amazon. Are you buying it?
- Read more: New Instagram Shopping features
Other Bites 🗞
- Three moms in California have created “Uber for Kids” because, well, life. HopSkipDrive (HSD) is a car ride service for kids ages 6+ who just can’t be late for another soccer practice.
- Cashier-less in Seattle (and Chicago). Amazon Go, the check-out free grocery store has opened a location in Chicago, the first one outside of the company’s home city of Seattle.
- HBD, Google Search! In honour of its 20th birthday, Google Search is introducing a range of new features, mostly related to its artificial intelligence capabilities, making user experience more customizable and relevant. This is one birthday present we won’t be re-gifting.
- The rumours are true! Tell a friend, or slide into their DMs. Instagram has rolled out the option to send GIFs in direct messages.
- In a strange turn of events, Facebook launches Facebook Dating. Try not to get too excited, because the tool has only launched in Colombia for their first large-scale test.