What’s Trending – January 2019 🔥
Date Posted: January 31, 2019Reading time: 4 minutes
What’s Trending: Roundup of the Roundups
With a new year comes Google searches like can I eat KFC on a ketogenic diet?, countless purchases of ill-fated day planners and heaps of articles predicting upcoming social media trends. One month into 2019, we’re excited to present this Roundup of the Roundups™, which rounds up the trends from all the roundups. And no, that’s not cheating. Save your valuable time and read on for four social trends to consider. You’ll be in the know before you can say “none of this is in my budget!”
Trend 1: Social Listening tools
- Think internet eavesdropping, but totally legal and not (quite) as creepy. Social listening is the process of monitoring digital conversations to better understand what the public is saying about a brand or industry, usually using a dedicated tool or platform.
- You may be wondering,”can I opt for the manual version and assign this task to my AirPod-sporting, Patagonia-clad summer student?” We wouldn’t recommend it. About 96% of people who discuss brands online don’t even follow their social profiles, making this a tricky job without the right platform. A social listening tool will crawl the internet for yes, brand mentions, but also untagged mentions on social, misspellings of your brand’s name and other chosen-by-you keywords.
- Purchasing a social listening tool is like getting to know what everyone secretly thinks of you. This would be truly soul-crushing on a personal level, but very advantageous in today’s marketing landscape. Investing in this can help improve your customer service, create targeted and high converting ads and find new target audiences.
Trend 2: Video
Trend 3: messenger Chatbots
- Turns out chatbots are our new best friends. I’m okay with it. As a tween, none of my friends could ever compete with the quick wit of MSN Messenger’s SmarterChild. You might be getting some Black Mirror vibes here, but fear not, for they are here to help us become more efficient.
- Chatbots are programs built to automatically engage with received messages. They can range in coolness level from answering simple and commonly asked questions to using machine learning to change their responses to fit different situations. They can be built for chat mediums of all kinds including SMS text and Facebook Messenger.
- These handy bots can save time and money, generate leads and revenue and provide round-the-clock support for your audience. Data shows that while most consumers expect a brand to respond within 4 hours of sending the message, the average brand response time is 10 hours. While humans need to sleep and you know, have something resembling work-life balance, bots only need a little updating every so often.
Trend 4: more Paid Media